Established in 1795, the cemetery contains about 240 stones, but cemetery records indicate there are likely several graves that either have no markers or may never have had a marker. The cemetery was named after John Brown, the man who's farmland was donated to create the cemetery. The people who rest here are the first settlers of the area, who migrated from the Stockbridge Mass. area to forge a new life for themselves and their families.
The goal of this project is twofold : to ensure the cemetery is recorded in full, with both photographs as well as names and dates, and to demonstrate how the individuals buried here were related to one another, either by blood or by marriage. This is the first of many future projects that will attempt to show the familial ties between the residence of the Berkshire/Richford/Newark Valley area.